Books from Special Collections are individually catalogued and are listed in the library’s main discovery tool. Books held in Special Collections will show the location “Archives and Special Collections TFDL Reading Room Use Only” and may be requested directly from the catalogue. Books are then available to be consulted in the Reading Room, located in Suite 520 of the Taylor Family Library. Special Collections books cannot be borrowed or taken outside the Reading Room.
Archives are described in online finding aids, arranged by the name of the creator of the materials. Finding aids are accessible through our archival database.
Handling Rare Materials
Since many of the items housed in Archives and Special Collections are rare, unique or fragile, special care must be taken when handling them. The co-operation of researchers is requested in order to preserve the materials. All of the materials are non-circulating and may only be used in the Reading Room.
- Coats, bags and briefcases are to be stored in the lockers provided.
- Only pencils are used for note-taking in the Reading Room.
- Cell phones, tablets and laptops are permitted.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted.
- Cotton gloves (supplied) may be required for the handling of some materials.
- Books must be placed flat on the table or be supported on a bookstand. Book weights for holding pages open are available in the Reading Room.
- Archival materials must be kept in the order in which they are placed in a folder and must not be re-arranged or removed from the folder.
Archives and Special Collections is located in Suite 520 of the Taylor Family Digital Library.
Turn left as you exit the elevator on the 5th floor, and walk all the way to the south end of the floor.
If you are unfamiliar with the Taylor Family Digital Library, please consult the campus map. The Taylor Family Digital Library (building code: TFDL) is located in the centre of the Main Campus of the University of Calgary.
The Reading Room is open Monday through Friday from 11:00 am to 4:30 pm.
For general inquiries, or to request materials to be brought to the Reading Room for you, please send us a message at the following addresses:
- Special Collections (Rare Books, Special Collections): email@example.com
- Canadian Architectural Archives: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Calgary Archives: email@example.com
- Glenbow Western Research Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Military Museums Library and Archives: email@example.com
If you are not sure which email address to use, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books, archival and other special materials held in Archives and Special Collections are available for consultation in the Reading Room. Items cannot be borrowed or consulted in any other location.
Materials held in Archives and Special Collections need to be retrieved from storage vaults and may be held in another campus facility. We ask that researchers provide us with a minimum of one day’s notice regarding which books or archival materials they require.
Most requests received by 3:00 pm will be ready for the following day when the Reading Room opens at 10:00 am.
If you are planning to consult a higher volume of materials (e.g. multiple boxes of archival materials) please let us know in advance, and we will work with you.
While the majority of records are available for research, some materials that you request may be restricted. Any restrictions will be noted in the fonds level record available through our archival database. If you are requesting records from the permanent corporate record of the University Archives, note that the corporate record is restricted for 15 years from date of creation as per the Freedom of Information/Protection of Privacy Act.
In the case of any access restrictions, it may be possible to access the records via a Researcher Agreement – contact Archives & Special Collections for more details.
Calgary Accommodation (close to the University)If you require on-campus accommodation, the Hotel Alma is only a 5-minute walk to/from the Taylor Family Digital Library. Other nearby hotel and motel accommodation is available:
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Calgary - University Northwest
- Aloft Calgary University
- Comfort Inn and Suites University