Donations and Gifts
Archives and Special Collections welcomes your financial contributions, or gifts of books, archival materials or other items that enhance our collecting strengths or allow us to develop new areas of interest to current or future scholars.
To learn more about making a financial gift, please see the University of Calgary's How to Give page.
For gifts-in-kind, we work with potential donors to evaluate the suitability of materials, to establish how they will be incorporated into our collections, and to provide charitable tax receipts.
We are particularly interested in collections or items with an emphasis on the following:
- Rare or early printed books in a variety of topics
- Small and fine press books
- Popular culture, including speculative fiction, pulps, paperbacks, and comic books
- Canadian history and literature
- Materials related to Arctic and Northern Studies
- The history of Western Canada, particularly the Rocky Mountains and Alberta
- The history of the book and book arts
- Personal archives of political figures or archival records of political groups
- Personal archives of novelists, poets, playwrights, composers, architects, or other creative individuals
- Archives of organizations in the creative industries
Some additional guidelines on gifts to the library may be found here:
- Prospective donations should support the current or emerging teaching, learning, and research needs of the University of Calgary
- Prospective donations should fall within existing collection areas, but we are happy to discuss materials that may be out of the ordinary
- Donated items should not duplicate materials already held by Libraries and Cultural Resources
- Materials should be in good physical condition, and should not have been stored in compromising conditions or have been exposed to mold, excessive dust, etc.
- Libraries and Cultural Resources must be in a position to catalogue, describe, process and maintain the gift-in-kind
- We encourage donors to provide a description of listing of materials and items they wish to donate
We welcome your inquiries. If you wish to discuss a possible gift or donation to Archives and Special Collections, please contact:
Associate University Librarian for Archives and Special Collections