Function/Activity: To document client history, consultations and assessments of individuals accessing Counselling Services through the SU Wellness Centre.
Description/Type of Records: NOTE: THIS RULE APPLIES ONLY TO MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES CLIENT FILES CREATED IN THE UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY SU (Students’ Union) WELLNESS CENTRE. Client’s demographic information; Mental Health Services notes and client histories; informed consent forms; assessments, observation and test results; instructions and advice; correspondence and reports either prepared or received.
|Office of Primary Responsibility (OPR)||Retention||Disposition|
|SU Wellness Centre – Mental Health Services|
|Mental Health Services client files except those involving a “person under disability”, or allegations of sexual assault, battery or misconduct||Date of last visit + 12 years, or in the case of minors, for 12 years past the client’s age of majority.||Confidentially shred or delete.|
|Mental Health Services client files involving allegations of sexual assault, battery or misconduct||Date of last visit + 70 years||Confidentially shred or delete.|
|Mental Health Services client files involving “persons under disability”||Date of last visit + 70 years||Confidentially shred or delete.|
In accordance with the principles of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, access to these records is restricted to staff assigned the functional responsibilities related to the records as well as those with the authority to compile, classify, annotate, read, retrieve, transfer or destroy this records series.
- Files of minor clients will be filed at the end of the series with the date of birth clearly noted.
Limitations Act, RSA 2000, Chapter L-12, s3(1), s.5.1(2), and s5(1)
The Alberta College of Social Workers Standards of Practice (2013), S.D.4(d) and S.D.4(e)
- D Bruckner, Director, Students’ Union Wellness Centre
- J. Crook, Associate Director, Counselling, Students’ Union Wellness Centre
- Jo-Ann Munn Gafuik, Senior Specialist, Policy and FOIP
- Lisa Atkinson, University Records Committee (Chair)
25 March 2014
- Karen Jackson, General Counsel
- Bonnie Woelk, University Archives
- Dru Marshall, VP (Academic), Information Trustee
Amended 10 March 2018