Located about 110 km west of the university in Sheep River Provincial Park, the R.B. Miller Field Station has contributed to world class science studies since 1950. Dr. Richard Birnie Miller, a professor from the University of Alberta, initially established the station in conjunction with the provincial Department of Lands and Forests to study hatchery-raised trout.
The universities of Alberta and Calgary ran the station jointly until 1991 when operations transferred fully to the University of Calgary. The station is now part of the university’s Biogeoscience Institute. Research includes animal behavior, long-term studies on trout, ground squirrels, bighorn sheep, pikas, song birds, and eco-system studies.
Originally called the Alberta Biological Station, the research facilities became the R.B. Miller Field Station to honour Miller following his death in 1959.