Douglas Cardinal fonds
Cardinal, Douglas Joseph, 1934
AGS BUILDING Douglas J. Cardinal
Accession 252A/90.01 Project CAR 7308
12,000 drawings - ca. 10 display items - 8 models - 45 print plates - 741 negatives - 13 transparencies - 7 transmittal sheets - 12.48 metres textual records (includes specifications, correspondence, and office files).
Canadian architect. Douglas Joseph Cardinal was born in Calgary, Alberta, March 7, 1934. The son of a game warden, he studied architecture at University of British Columbia and the University of Texas, Austin, from which he graduated with honours in 1963. He worked at the firm of Bissell & Holman in Red Deer, (1963-67), and as principal in the firm Douglas J. Cardinal Architect (1964-). He practiced in Edmonton for eighteen years, and moved his practice to Ottawa in 1985. He is a Fellow in the Royal Architectural Instititute of Canada (1983) and a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts (1974).
Significant projects include: Alberta Pavilion, Expo '86; Leighton Artist Colony, Banff, AB; Sacred Heart Church, Terrace, BC; St. Mary's Church, Red Deer, AB.
Awards: Honor Award (Alberta Association of Architects) - 1968 ; Honour Award (City of Red Deer, AB) - 1969 ; Award of Excellence (City of Red Deer, AB) - 1978 ; Award of Excellence (Canadian Architect) - 1972 ; Achievement of Excellence Award in Architecture (Province of Alberta) - 1974.
Fonds consists of drawings, display material, models, and office files from the architectural practice of Douglas J. Cardinal Architect, 1961-1984.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Acquired by donation in 1990.
Finding aids available at repository.
Project list is available on-line.
Further accruals expected.