Donald Bittorf fonds
3490 drawings. -- ca 130 of display material. -- ca. 1355 photographs. -- ca. 4296 slides. – ca. 1m textual records
Donald Bittorf was born in Edmonton in 1926. He studied architecture at the University of Washington, where he received the American Institute of Architects Undergraduate Scholarship and the University of Washington Architecture Alumni Traveling Scholarship. He graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Architecture in 1954 and continued his architectural education at Harvard, which was still strongly influenced by the leading Modernist intellectuals of the twentieth century, such as Gropius, Breuer, Moholy Nagy, and Alto. He received his Masters degree in architecture and an American Institute of Architect's Second Award in 1955. Returning to Edmonton, Bittorf built a practice based on the Modernist ideals and offering a range of services including architecture, urban design, interior design, and graphic design. Bittorf was active in professional and community service including serving on the council of the Association of Alberta Architects, the boards of the Edmonton Art Gallery, Northern Lights Theatre, and the Fort Edmonton Historical Society. He was also a member of the Royal Canadian Academy, and a Phi Beta Kappa, Scholastic Honorary and Tau Sigma Delta, Architectural Honorary.
Significant projects include: The Concourse – Campeau Corp.; Principal Plaza – Campeau Corp.; Dickensfield Extended Care Centre; 112 Ave. Rapid Transit Station; Business Administration and Commerce Building, University of Alberta; Law Centre University of Alberta; the Edmonton Art Gallery; and the Zolf Residence.
Awards: Alberta Association of Architects Design Award for the Edmonton Art Gallery; City of Edmonton Design Awards for the Zolf Residence, the 112 Ave Rapid Transit Station, and Dickensfield Extended Care Hospital. He also won design competition awards for the 1954 Structural Clay Products Institute and the Winnipeg City Hall competition.
Fonds consists of drawings, display material, photographs, slides, and office files from the architectural practice of Donald Bittorf.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Acquired by donation in 2004.
Finding aids available at repository.
Further accruals expected.