Bond Mogridge Architects Limited fonds
Clayton, Bond and Mogridge Architects Ltd.
OPENING OF CALGARY AIRPORT TERMINAL BUILDING Clayton, Bond and Mogridge Architects Ltd. Clayton fonds 288A/05.03 (L-R) J.C Clayton, George C. Marler, A.W Mogridge, K.L Bond
ca. 35,000 drawings - ca. 40 items of display material - ca. 61 m of textual records.
Canadian architects. John Cyril Clayton was born in Cheshire, England in 1918. He qualified as an architect in 1948 after service in the Royal Engineers during the Second World War. The war saw him spending several years in Nigeria, where he laid out a landing strip in virgin rainforest to support the African Campaign. This landing strip now forms part of Lagos International Airport. The early 1950s in Britain were still overshadowed by the legacy of war and in 1952 John decided to emigrate to Calgary with his wife and daughter. He chose Calgary as a city that was small, but likely to expand. How right he was! After a brief stint with Rule, Wynn and Rule to complete the Royal Hotel in 1952 he sooned formed his own partnership. In 1953 he joined with Calgary architect Kenneth Bond to form the partnership Clayton and Bond, later to be joined by Allan Mogridge to form Clayton, Bond and Mogridge. They designed many buildings in Calgary and vicinity including the new terminal building for Calgary Airport in 1956.
John Clayton was Vice-President of the Alberta Association of Architects for several years. He served on the board of the CNIB, was a Lay Reader and Member of Synod representing St. Andrew's Church and enjoyed his membership of the Officers' Mess in Currie Barracks. Family ties made him return to England in 1971, where he became Deputy City Architect to the historic city of Durham in the noth of England until his retirement in 1983.
Allan W. Mogridge was born in Calgary, Alberta. After serving the in Air Force in WWII, he articled with E.T. Brown (1946-?). When Mr. Brown died, Allan Mogridge and Alfred Hodges bought the practice. Later, Maxwell Bates joined the firm which then became know as Hodges & Bates. Allan Mogridge later left to work for the firm of John C. Clayton, Architect.
Ken Bond was born in Calgary, Alberta. After serving in WWII he attended the University of Manitoba then practiced with Peter Rule of Rule, Wynn & Rule (Calgary). In 1953 he joined in partnership with John C. Clayton which then changed names to Clayton, Bond Architects.
Significant projects include: Bethany Extended Care Centre, Calgary; Prairie Bible Institute, Three Hills; Calgary Air Terminal - McCall Field, Calgary; Cave & Basin (1950s), Banff; Jasper Park Pool, Jasper; Olympic Pool & Facilities, University of Calgary, Calgary.
Bond Mogridge fonds consists of drawings, display material and files from the architectural practice of Bond Mogridge Architects, Ltd.. Clayton fonds consists of photographs, clippings, and biographical information on John Cyril Clayton.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Acquired by donation in 1988, 1989, and 2005
Accessions: BON240A/88.01, BON251A/89.07, CLA288A/05.03