Faculty of Arts and Science fonds [text]. – 1961-1976. – 39 cm of textual records.
The University of Alberta Faculty of Arts and Science opened a branch in Calgary in 1951 and offered the first years of a BA or BSc degree. This event added to the U of A’s presence in Calgary: Calgary Normal had become a branch of the U of A’s Faculty of Education in 1945 and offered a second year of BA or BSc in 1959 and full degrees in 1960. Indicative of the growing autonomy of the University of Alberta, Calgary, the Faculty gained its own head, as did its departments, by.ca 1963. Until ca. 1968, degrees offered by the Faculty were of three years in duration. In 1969, the General Faculties Council approved the addition of a four year program. In 1976, the Faculty was divided into the faculties of Humanities, Science and Social Sciences and the University College. In April 2010, a new Faculty of Arts was created by combining all departments from the Faculties of Humanities, Social Sciences, Fine Arts and Communication and Culture.
The fonds consists of minutes, agendas, correspondence, reports, proposals and related material. The fonds is arranged into four series: (1) Faculty of Arts and Science Council (2) Faculty of Arts and Science Executive Council (3) Committees (4) Correspondence.
The records are arranged in chronological and alphabetical order. Original order maintained except with some artificial order in the committee and correspondence series.
Fonds include the following accessions: 85.044, 92.040, 92.044, 92.057, and 2008.064.
Restrictions on access: Some files are restricted due to personal information and must be screened.