Rule Wynn and Rule Architects
TREND HOUSE Rule Wynn & Rule Calgary
Accession 13A/77.56 Project RUL(C) 53T29
ca. 6000 drawings - 4 surveys - 2 maps - ca. 6 metres of textual records.
Canadian architects. The firm of Rule Wynn and Rule Architects was established in 1938 (Edmonton) by John Ulric Rule (1904-1978) and Gordon K. Wynn (1910-1994). They were joined the following year by John Rule's brother, Peter Leitch Rule (1913-1964). All three principals were graduates of the University of Alberta's architecture program. Although a series of name changes have have reflected changes in key personnel, the existing Edmonton office is one of the longest continuously operating architectural firms in Alberta.
During World War II the firm was left in the hands of the Rules’ father, Peter Rule, Sr., a building inspector for Alberta Government Telephones. Although not trained as an architect, Rule, Sr. designed many of the provinces telephone exchange buildings. To recognize his contribution to Alberta's architectural landscape, he was granted a special certificate by the Alberta Association of Architects in January 1941. In 1945 the firm expanded to Calgary, with Peter Rule as partner in charge. The Calgary office was closed in 1986.
Awards: City of Edmonton Architectural Award - 1978; Alberta Association of Architects Award - 1978, 1979, 1983, 1985.
Significant projects (Calgary office) include: Petroleum Building, Spruce Cliff Apartments, Trend House, Elveden Centre, MacMahon Stadium (all located in Calgary).
Fonds consists of drawings, specifications, correspondence, and office files from the architectural practice of Rule Wynn and Rule (Calgary), 1946-1986.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Acquired by donation in 1977, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, and 1991.
Finding aids available at repository.
Further accruals expected.
Accessions: 13A/77.56, 67A/80.02, 118A/82.03, 136A/82.21, 138A/82.23, 188A/84.09, 224A/86.04, 255A/91.02