University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

John B. Parkin/NORR fonds, 1938-1974

Submitted by justin.anders on Tue, 10/07/2014 - 10:26am

Parkin, John Burnett, 1911-1975
NORR Partership Limited

PARKIN OFFICE, Don Mills John B. Parkin Associates
Photo: Panda fonds Image 551149

ca. 18,000 drawings - 308 microfilm reels (16 mm) - 42 microfilm reels (35 mm) - ca. 323 m of textual records - ca. 2.4 m of photographs.

Canadian architect. John B. Parkin was born in Toronto, Ontario, June 26, 1911. He received his Dip.Arch. from the University of Toronto in 1935. In 1943 he married Jean Elizabeth Renshaw and they had two children. From 1935-1937, Parkin worked in the office of architects Howard and Souster (London), then went into private practice in Toronto (1937-1947). He then entered parternship with his brother, Edmund T. Parkin, a landscape architect, and with John C. Parkin (no relation) in the firm John B. Parkin Associates (1947-1968). In 1968, the firm changed its name to Parkin Architects Engineers and Planners. In 1970, John C. Parkin left to establish Parkin Architects Planners while Roy Marshall joined as partner in Parkin Architects Engineers and Planners, Los Angeles. After several name changes, a new partnership emerged in Toronto under the name Neish Owen Rowland & Roy, and in 1986 became NORR Parternship Limited. Parkin was an Associate Professor at the University of Southern California and California Institute of Technology, a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects, and an Honorary Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.

Awards include: First Prize, Ontario Association of Architects Headquarters Competition, 1953; 14 Massey Foundation Medals, from 1954.

Significant projects include: Ontario Association of Architects Headquarters, Toronto; Salvation Army National Headquarters and Temple, Toronto; Oshawa Central Collegiate Institute, Oshawa, ON; Faberge Factory, Etobicoke, ON; Garage and Stores Building, York Hydro System; Humber Memorial Hospital.

Fonds consists of drawings, microfilm, photographs, and correspondence and office files from the architectural practice of John B. Parkin/NORR Parternship Ltd., 1938-1974.

Title based on contents of fonds.

Acquired by donation in 1975, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1983, and 1984.

Finding aids available at repository.

Further accruals expected.

Accessions: 1A/75.01, 23A/77.73, 55A/79.11, 69A/80.04, 88A/80.23, 110A/81.14, 157A/83.12, 207A/84.28

president of the Ontario Association of Architects in 1953.

Significant projects include: Apartment house at 130 Forest Hill Road, Toronto; Holt Renfrew Building, Toronto; Bell Telephone Co. of Canada, Exchange Building, Pickering; Canada and Dominion Sugar Company, Toronto; Co-operators Insurance Association Office Building, London; Kipling Collegiate Institute, Etobicoke; Peacock Contracting Company Office Building, Toronto; St. Clair Balfour Residence, Toronto.

Fonds consists of drawings, files, and specifications from the architectural practice of Gordon Adamson & Associates, 1933-1972. Fonds also includes a partnership agreement between Gordon Sinclair Adamson and Earle C. Morgan dated March 27, 1945 and correspondence regarding the partnership agreement and partnership termination between Gordon Sinclair Adamson and Earle C. Morgan, February, 1946.

Title based on contents of fonds.

Acquired by donation in 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, and 1985.

Finding aids available at repository.

Further accruals expected.

Accessions: 33A/78.13, 61A/79.17, 140A/82.25, 172A/83.27, 217A/85.10

Sort Title: