Dale Chandler Kennedy Partnership
HUSKY TOWER A. Dale Associates
Accession 195A/84.16 Project DAL 300 Typical Elevation
ca. 59,000 drawings - ca. 540 display materials - ca. 154 m of textual records - 52 microfilm reels - ca. 7,000 aperture cards.
Canadian Architects. Architectural firm founded in Calgary, Alberta in July 1955 by Albert Dale. Born in England in 1927, Dale was educated at Manchester and Nottingham University School of Architecture & Town Planning, where he received his Diploma in Architecture (1949) and qualified as a Town Planning Consultant (1953). After emigrating to Canada, he registered with the Alberta Association of Architects (December 1954) and opened his own architectural and Town Planning office (Calgary). In 1974 the firm of A. Dale & Associates merged with that of Chandler/Kennedy Architects and became known as the DCK Partnership.
Sheldon H. Chandler received his B.Arch. at McGill University (1963) then trained with Aspler & Kula (Montreal) and Nils & Eva Koppel in Copenhagen, Denmark. In 1968 he was admitted as a member of the Alberta Association of Architects and opened his own practice in Calgary.
Gordon Gerald Kennedy received his B.Arch. from the University of British Columbia (1964) and trained with J.H. Cook & Associates, W.G. Milne, and Beatson Stevens & Associates (all of Calgary). In June 1965 he was admitted to the Alberta Association of Architects and in 1970 he joined Sheldon Chandler in the partnership of Chandler/Kennedy Architects.
In the year of the merger with A. Dale & Associates, the new firm opened a second office in Edmonton. Three years later, Albert Dale retired and the firm changed its name to the Chandler/Kennedy Architectural Group in order to emphasize the team nature of contemporary practice.
In 1978 the partnership expanded still further by opening an office in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, and an agency in Vancouver. An increasing number of commissions abroad necessitated the creation of a subsidiary, the Chandler/Kennedy Architectural Group-International, and two further offices were opened: London, England, and one in Denver, Colorado.
From the beginning, the firm extended its activities beyond individual building projects to various planning studies for small towns, colleges, commercial and office complexes to major developments of high and low density land uses.
Significant projects include: Palliser Square, Calgary; Olds Agricultural and Vocational College, Olds; McLaurin Village, Calgary; Hull Estates, Calgary; Chevron Plaza, Calgary; Eau Claire Complex, Calgary; Lindsay Park Aquatic Centre, Calgary; Husky Tower, Calgary.
Fonds consists of drawings, display material, microfilm, aperture cards and files from the architectural practice of Dale Chandler Kennedy Parternship, 1955-1982.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Acquired by donation in 1978, 1984 and 1987.
Finding aids available at repository. Further accruals expected.
Accessions: 47A/79.03, 195A/84.16, 235A/87.03