Corneil, Carmen 1933-
Corneil, Elin 1935-
VESTMANNAEYJAR, ICELAND Carmen Corneil
Accession 260A/98.01 Perspective
ca. 2895 drawings. - ca. 5 m of textual records.
Canadian architect. Carmen Corneil was born in Niagara Falls, New York, December 19, 1933. He received his B.Arch. (Honours) from the University of Toronto in 1957. From 1967 to 1996 he was a professor in the Programme in Architecture, University of Toronto. He is a member of the Ontario Association of Architecture, a member of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of the Arts (1975).
Elin Corneil was born in Trondheim Norwway on July 23, 1935. She graduated with a diploma from the department of architecture at the Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim, in 1962. Elin taught in Norway at the Norwegian Institute of Technology, and in the Faculty of Architecture at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. She has also lectured at the University of Toronto, and the MIT School of Architecture in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Most recently Elin held the Visiting Critic Master’s Studio at the School of Architecture, University College Dulbin.
Elin has been a member of the Council of the Trondheim Architectural Association, the Committee of the Museum Norwegian Fish Industry Museum, a founding member on the committee for documentation of the Norwegian Iron and Steel Industy, and Chairman for the ‘Amelia Earhart’ Stipend committee. The Corneils now teach and practice in Norway full time.
Awards include: Medal, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, 1957; Massey Medal, 1971; Governor General's Medal (Ontario), 1992.
Significant projects include: School of Architecture building, Carleton University, Ottawa; Wayland Drew House, Port Perry, ON; Canadian Pavilion, Expo '70; Harbourfront, Toronto; OPSEU Headquarters, Don Mills, ON; Vestmannaeyjar Municipal Works, Vestmannaejar, Iceland.
Fonds consists of drawings, display material and files from the architectural practice of Carmen and Elin Corneil, 1956-1996.
Title based on contents of fonds.
Acquired by donation in 1998.
Finding aids available at repository.
Further accruals expected.