Herbert Stoker Armstrong was the first President of the University of Calgary. After serving as Dean of the Arts and Science Faculty at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, he came to the University Alberta as Professor of Geology and Dean of the new Faculty of Science in 1962. He was appointed Vice-President (Academic) in 1963, and in 1964 became the first President of the University of Alberta at Calgary. When The University of Calgary received autonomy in 1966, he assumed the dual role of President and Vice-Chancellor, which he held until 1968.
David Jay Bercuson was born in Montreal on 31 August 1945, the son of Joseph Myer and Sylvia (Green) Bercuson. As a teenager he attended Monklands High School in Montreal. After completing high school in 1962, he attended Sir George Williams University, graduating with a B.A. in 1966 where he received the Lieutenant-Governor's Silver Medal for History. He completed his graduate studies in History at the University of Toronto, receiving his Master's in 1967 and his Ph.D. in 1971. His dissertation was entitled "Labour in Winnipeg: The Great War and the General Strike."
His first teaching position was as a visiting assistant at the University of Calgary (1970-71). The following year he was hired as an assistant professor at the University of Calgary. He was promoted to associate professor in 1975 and to full professor in 1978. Dr. Bercuson was dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies from 1989-96, and became director of the Strategic Studies Program (now Centre for Military and Strategic Studies) at the University of Calgary in 1997.
Dr. Bercuson has written or co-authored more than thirty books and numerous journal articles on the subjects of Canadian Labour, political, diplomatic and military history; the Middle East; Canadian regionalism and constitutional crises; anti-semitism; and higher education in Canada. He has delivered papers at numerous conferences and universities in Canada, the United States, and Central and South America. He has published in numerous newspapers and news magazines, and has done political commentary for CBC radio and television and CTV television. As a consultant, Dr. Bercuson has undertaken legal and historical research on various constitutional and political issues. He also served as a member of the Leader of the Opposition's Advisory Group, Alberta Liberal Party. From January to April 1997, he was a Special Advisor to the Minister of National Defence on the Future of the Canadian Forces. In October 1997, he was appointed to the Minister of National Defence's Monitoring Committee on Change in the Canadian Forces and the Department of National Defence. Dr. Bercuson has been awarded numerous honours, fellowships and research awards. In 1988 he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. In 1998, Concordia University conferred on him the honourary degree of Doctor of Laws, honoris causa.
Allan Thomas Johnstone Cairns was born in Edmonton in February 1931. Educated in city schools, he later attended the University of Alberta to study English. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1952 and his Master of Arts degree in 1954. He then studied at Oxford with the assistance of an IODE Postgraduate Fellowship, and travelled extensively in Europe. In 1959 he returned to Canada, accepting a position at Victoria College (now the University of Victoria) to teach English and creative writing.In July 1962 he joined the Department of English at the University of Calgary as a faculty member and was promoted to associate professor in 1975. He remained a faculty member of the Department until his death in January 1988.
Professor Cairns sat on many committees of the English Department, chairing several of them and acting as advisor to others. He was a consultant to the Norton Anthology of English Literature (4th edition) and to Prentice Hall publishers regarding new texts for students of English grammar. In addition to writing scholarly articles and reviews, he was a dedicated creative writer for most of his life. His first love was poetry, which he began to write at the age of 15. In his early 30s the impulse (as he described it) to write poetry had ceased in him and he decided that it was "[t]ime to turn to prose now". Apparently he did not return to writing poems until ca. 1984. He wrote a large number of short stories as well as several novels, including one of over 1100 pages in length which he dubbed "The Monster". Despite his need to write creatively which resulted in an impressive volume of work, Cairns enjoyed only very limited success in having his writing published.
Consists of photographs taken by Calgary Herald staff photographers for publication in the daily newspaper of The University of Alberta, Calgary campus, and The University of Calgary.
Fonds consists of the records of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers union Local 115-A and the Graphic Communications International union local XXX representing Calgary Herald editorial and production staff involved in a strike action in 1999-2000.
The Calgary Women's Writing Project Society (CWWP) was founded in 1988 by a group of women at the University of Calgary. The individuals were concerned that the perspectives of women were not being adequately represented by the existing campus publications. Thus, the decision was made to publish their own journal. The first issue of "Forum" was published in the autumn of 1988. It contained a variety of pieces, from a book review of the "Joy of Sex" to an article on the Baha'i faith. Perhaps most significantly, it included a list of contact information for a number of women's groups throughout the city. Reflecting its interest to the greater community, the CWWP eventually moved off the university campus and into the historic old YWCA centre for community organizations. Funding for the project came from membership fees, grants, and various fundraising activities. However, the main activity continued to be the annual publication of "Forum". The organization discontinued activities in 2003.
The Federal Provincial Parks Council (FPPC) was established as a result of the 1961 Resources for Tomorrow conference. Conference participants recognized the need for improved dialogue on resources management and the benefits of improved liaison between Canada’s federal, provincial and territorial park agencies. The first meeting/conference of the Federal Provincial Parks Council (now the Canadian Parks Council) took place in Ottawa in 1962. The mission of the Council is to provide a national focus for coordinated intergovernmental leadership and action on park issues in Canada, to facilitate the exchange of technical information and expertise, and to foster joint development and support of parks initiatives and programs. Council members share the common interests of:
Alfred W.R. Carrothers, 1924- , was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and took his undergraduate education at the University of British Columbia, receiving a BA in 1947 and an LLB in 1948. He then attended Harvard Law School and earned an LLM in 1951 and a Doctorate of Juridical Science in 1966. He joined the Faculty of Law at UBC as a lecturer in 1948 and became a full professor in 1960. In 1964 he became Dean, Faculty of Law at the University of Western Ontario, and in 1969 was appointed President of The University of Calgary, a position he held until 1974. He was involved in numerous learned societies and public service groups including serving as president of the Association of Canadian Law Teachers (1966-1967) and as chair of the Advisory Committee on the Development of Government in the North West Territories (1965- 1966). He and his wife, Jane, had three children.
Merron Chorny was born in Ranfurly, Alberta on August 31st, 1922. He graduated from the Edmonton Normal School in 1942 but interrupted his undergraduate degree at the University of Alberta when he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, serving as a Flying Officer from 1943- 1945. He later returned and received his Bachelor of Education from the University of Alberta in 1947 and his Master of Education in 1949. Chorny was the principal of Grimshaw School from 1949-1958. He was accepted as a Teaching Fellow at the University of Alberta in 1958 on a program leading to his doctorate. In 1960 Chorny accepted a position at the University of Alberta, Calgary as an assistant professor in English Education.
Chorny played a leadership role in a number of teaching and education organizations and was responsible for several pioneering initiatives in improving instruction and the delivery of English programs. Chorny served on the Alberta Department of Education Junior High School Curriculum Committee and on the sub-committee for the marking of Grade 9 exams. He was publications editor of the English Council of the Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA) and was on the committee to study teaching loads. In 1964 he organized and was chair of the English Commandos, a group that worked within the structure of the English Council of the Alberta Teachers’ Association. The Commandos were teams of knowledgeable resource persons who offered one-day workshops in some area of teaching English, such as reading, composition, or poetry. The workshops provided an in-service approach to assisting teachers, and could take on the role of consultants for projects and other activities. As Vice-President of the English Council, Chorny was also invited to attend the International Conference on the Teaching of English held at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire in 1966. Chorny became President of the English Council in 1967.
In 1966, Chorny chaired a conference that discussed the formation of a Canadian Council of Teachers of English (CCTE). Chorny was active in the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), which had a North American agenda but was focussed primarily on education in the United States. Chorny believed that an organization focussed on Canadian English concerns and issues would be advantageous. The CCTE became a reality in 1967 with Chorny as the President of the Council.
Chorny wrote the Just English series of English textbooks; he also wrote Teacher as Learner, and Teacher as Researcher to encourage the further education of teachers of English. Chorny was also a firm believer in writing as an expression of self. He wrote many creative and fictional articles, several of which were later published, including the short story Obitiuary. He also wrote several pieces and had drafted the outlines of chapters for a larger work on the history and people of the Ranfurly area where he grew up.
Chorny retired from the University of Calgary in 1985 and was granted Professor Emeritus status.
The fonds consists of records created or collected by Dr. Chorny over the course of his life and his career. The records reflect his education from grade school to his Doctorate and include photographs, registration papers, graded assignments, his Masters thesis and his dissertation. The records also include correspondence and teaching materials from his career as a high school teacher and principal, and also reflect his creative writing with articles and the drafts of a novel he wrote. Chorny was active both provincially and nationally with teaching associations and the records reflect his close ties with the English Council of the Alberta Teachers Association and his creation of the Canadian Council of Teachers of English. Records include correspondence, photographs, newsclippings, and newsletters.
The fonds is arranged into six series: (1) Education; (2) High School Teaching Activities; (3) Creating Writing and Scholarly Publications; (4) Professional Activities and Affiliations; (5) Personal Records and; (6) Ephemera.
Albert Comanor was born in October 1909 in New York City. He entered the University of Pennsylvania in 1926, obtaining his Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from the University's Wharton School in 1930. He obtained his Master of Arts degree in Sociology, Economics and Political Science from the University's Graduate School in July 1931. In 1933 he entered the Pennsylvania School of Social Work (later part of the University of Pennsylvania), graduating with a Social Work Certificate in 1935. From 1935 to 1943 Comanor was employed by the Jewish Family and Children's Service in Pittsburgh as a caseworker, supervisor and general case supervisor. The U.S. Army employed him as a psychiatric caseworker from 1943-1945; he was discharged by special Army action to allow him to go to China with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) as a regional welfare officer. He remained with UNRRA from 1945-1947. In 1947 he was appointed Assistant Director of Community Relations with the United Service to New Americans (USNA), an international migration and resettlement agency. During the three years he remained there he was promoted twice: to Director of National Service and to Assistant Executive Director. In 1950 Comanor returned to the employ of the Jewish Family and Children's Service, this time as Executive Director in Miami, Florida. He remained there until 1960 when his career became academically rather than practically centered upon his acceptance of an Associate Professorship at the Graduate School of Social Work at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. In 1964 Rutgers promoted him to a full Professorship. In 1967 Comanor accepted a full Professorship at the San Francisco State College, where he hoped to develop an accredited social work program. Labour unrest and other difficulties at the college conspired against him, however, and in January 1969 he opted to take up a sessional appointment as a visiting professor and accreditation consultant in the University of Calgary's School of Social Work. His appointment was extended, and in July 1969 he became a Full Professor. He remained with the Faculty of Social Work as a senior faculty member until his retirement in June 1975 when he was awarded Emeritus status. Following his retirement from the University of Calgary, he took up the Directorship (Pro Tem) of the School of Social Work at Memorial University, St. John's, Newfoundland. During the 1977-1978 academic year he held a visiting professorship at the University of Regina, and from 1978-1979 he acted as a part time consultant to the Faculty of Social Work at the University of Calgary. Comanor was widely respected throughout North America as an expert in gerontology, social work administration, and social work education. He was frequently sought after as a speaker and instructor at conferences and workshops: many of the papers he read survive in this fonds. His advice was sought by numerous institutions and social welfare groups which hired him as a consultant to assist them in setting up new programs or in reviewing those already in place. He remained active as a consultant until his death in February 1985 at the age of 75.
Eung-Do (Ed) Cook was born on February 3, 1935 in Seosan, Chung-Nam Province, Korea. He attended Chung-Aung University from 1954-1961, majoring in the English language and receiving his B.A. and M.A. during that time. He earned an M.A. in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) from the University of Hawaii in 1965, and a PhD in Linguistics from the University of Alberta in 1968.
Fraser Barry Cooper was born in Vancouver on 3 September 1943. As a teenager, he attended the Shawnigan Lake School, a private school on Vancouver Island. After completing high school in 1962, he attended the University of British Columbia, graduating with an Honors B.A. in Political Science in 1965. He received his graduate degrees at Duke University, Durham, North Carolina in 1967 and 1969. His first teaching position was at Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec during the 1969-1970 session. In 1970 he taught at McGill University as a visiting assistant professor. Later that year he was hired as an assistant professor by York University, where he remained for the next ten years, being promoted to associate professor in 1976. In 1981 he moved to the University of Calgary Department of Political Science as a full professor. Dr. Cooper has written numerous books and journal articles on the subjects of political philosophy, the media and Canada's constitutional crisis. He is frequently sought after as a speaker and has delivered papers at numerous Canadian, American, French, German and Czech Learned Society meetings, at several Canadian, American, German and Indian Universities, and at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing and The Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences. He is a regular contributor of journalistic articles to national and local newspapers and magazines, and has appeared on national and local radio and television. As a consultant, Dr. Cooper has undertaken research in the area of political culture and political risk analysis for major oil companies, media analysis for federal and provincial government Departments and for national political parties. Dr. Cooper has been awarded numerous honours, fellowships and research awards for his work as a teacher, a writer and a researcher. In 1993, in recognition of his contribution to academia, he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
Michael Coulson served as 25th Anniversary Celebration Committee Member for the Faculty of Social Science. In this capacity, he coordinated arrangements for the Anniversary events planned by the Faculty. Dr. Coulson was a specialist in urban geography and cartography. He was the Head of the Department of Geography from 1963 and was appointed to the Canadian National Committee of the International Geographical Union from 1972-1980.
James B. Cragg, Professor Emeritus of Environmental Design at The University of Calgary, received a
BSc(Hons) and MSc from the University of Durham, and a DSc from the University of Newcastle. In the early
1960s, he was director of a research station in Lancashire, England. In ca.1966 he joined the faculty of The
University of Calgary and remained active until at least 1991.
He was Killam Memorial Professor in 1972, as well as the Director, Environmental Sciences Centre
(Kananaskis). He was also active in a number of international organizations including the Man and Biosphere
Programme (MAB) of UNESCO. He was a convenor for the International Biological Programme (IBP), which
produced scientific publications for the International Council of Scientific Unions, and served on the Ecology
Committee of the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN).
The Cypress Hills Report Collection is comprised of reports, plans, studies, surveys, photographs, maps and correspondence, accumulated in the Faculty of Environmental Design for teaching and research purposes. The collection also consists of course materials from an EVDS 603 class resulting from work the collection.
The collection is arranged into 4 series: (1) Correspondence; (2) Reports; (3) Photographs and maps; and (4) EVDS 603.
Andrew Leo Doucette, 1900-1974, was born in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. After receiving a BSc degree in Civil Engineering from Dalhousie University and Nova Scotia Technical College ca.1917-1920, he taught in rural Alberta schools and received his teaching certificate from the Edmonton Normal School in 1923. He continued teaching in Alberta, including at the Edmonton Normal School (1929-1932, 1940) and the Calgary Normal School (1938-1940), and was Rural School Inspector at Vegreville (ca.1932-1936).
1840-2009; predominant 1949-2004
5.17 m of textual records and other material.
Canadian author, historian and University professor, Ulrich Franz Josef (Frank) Eyck was born in Berlin, Germany, on July 13, 1921 and died on December 28, 2004 in Calgary, Alberta. Dr. Eyck was born into an upper middle class German Jewish Family and educated in Berlin and London, England. In 1935, the Nazi’s persecution of Jews, forced Dr. Eyck to emigrate to England. In the early days of the Second World War, Dr. Eyck, then known as Frank Alexander, was interned as an enemy alien on the Isle of Man. He took up an offer to serve in the British Army from 1940-1946 and was a member of the information control unit that helped establish a democratic press in northern Germany. He studied modern history at Worcester College, Oxford (1946-1949) and then worked as a journalist with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), London (1949-1956), where he edited the weekly German language programme, Hier Spricht London, and later compiled news from abroad. From 1956-1968, he was a research fellow at St. Antony's College, Oxford. Dr. Eyck taught history at Liverpool and Exeter University, 1958-1968, and the University of Calgary, 1968-1987. In 1972 he was made a fellow of the prestigious Royal Historical Council Fellowship. From 1974 to 1979 he was Vice-Chairman of the Council of the Inter-University Centre of Post-Graduate Studies in Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia and in 1982, he was visiting professor at the University of Wűrzburg, Germany. He was also associated with the New Work based Leo Baeck Institute, devoted to the history and culture of German speaking Jews.
A respected scholar, Dr. Eyck was the author of several books on British and German history including the Frankfurt Parliament : 1848 -1849; The Prince Consort: A Political Biography; and Politics and Religion and Politics in German History. Dr. Eyck edited the book The Revolutions of 1848-49, and wrote a memoir A Historian’s Pilgrimage: Memoirs and Reflections which his wife Rosemarie Eyck completed and published after his death. Dr. Eyck also wrote the authoritative biography of George Peabody Gooch (G.P. Gooch: A Study in History) a noted British historian, Liberal politician and editor of the British Documents on the Origins of the Great War as well as the founder and editor of the journal the Contemporary Review which figured prominently in the debate about British foreign policy before, during and after WWI and II. Gooch was a colleague of Eyck’s father, also a historian, politician and lawyer and an ardent supporter of the Eyck family and other refugees from Nazi Germany.
Fonds consists of scholarly research, lecture notes, presentations, essays, book reviews, scholarly and personal correspondence with noted historians and politicians from the early 20th Century to the post WWII years from Great Britain and Germany, some personal correspondence with his parents during his time as a schoolboy, notebooks from his internment and military training, manuscripts of his scholarly publications, photographs and audio recordings of interviews of himself and his wife about their experiences living in Nazi Germany as well as broadcast recordings of interviews of Dr. Eyck’s research subjects. There is extensive original, transcribed and photocopied correspondence and other materials Eyck compiled on his research subjects for his book on Prince Albert, the Queen Victoria’s consort, and his biography on George Peabody Gooch.
Donated by Frank Eyck in 1983, 1984, 2000 and 2002. Further donations were received from his widow Rosemary in 2009, 2010 and 2012.
Text in English and German.
No restrictions on access. However, researchers consulting materials from the Royal Archives at Windsor Castle, acquired for the book The Prince Consort, who wish to quote them in any publication, including dissertations, must have permission from the Assistant Keeper of the Royal Archives. Original Gooch papers, Dr. Eyck selected from Gooch’s estate for his biography of Gooch, have been copyrighted to the University of Calgary by the Gooch Estate. For complete details contact the repository.
Related: the papers (Nachlass) of his father, Dr. Erich Eyck, a historian , lawyer and respected politician are located in the Zentrale Datenbank Nachlässe of the National Archives of Germany (Bundesarchiv) http://www.nachlassdatenbank.de/
The fonds is arranged into 6 series: (1) Research and scholarly activities; (2) Professional activities; (3) Teaching; (4) Correspondence; (5) Personal papers; and (6) Interviews.
Accessions: 2012.051, 333/83.30, 691/00.22
Dr. Elizabeth Ann (Betty) Flagler was born in Brandon, Manitoba on February 1, 1947. She earned her BSc and medical degree at the University of Alberta and completed her residency training in Calgary and Toronto. She had an active community based practice in Calgary since 1976 working at the Foothills and Grace Hospitals. Dr. Flagler had a particular interest in colposcopy since setting up a clinic at the Cancer Clinic in 1977.
Thomas Eugene Flanagan was born in Ottawa, Illinois on March 5, 1944. He completed his Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Notre Dame in 1965; his MA and PhD were completed at Duke University in 1967 and 1970 respectively. During 1967-1968 he studied at the Free University of West Berlin. In 1968 Flanagan joined the academic staff of the University of Calgary as an assistant Professor in the Department of Political Science. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 1972 and to full Professor in 1979. He served as Head of the department from 1982-1987 and as Academic Policy Advisor to the President from 1988-1990.
Dr. Richard (Dick) George Forbis was born July 30, 1924 in Missoula, Montana to Clarence Jenks and Josephine Hunt Forbis. He completed his secondary schooling in Missoula. During the Second World War, Dr. Forbis was seriously injured in the Battle of the Bulge; however, by the fall of 1945 he had recovered and resumed his studies at the University of Montana. He earned a BA in 1949 and an MA in 1950, both in Sociology, from that institution. Dr. Forbis obtained his PhD in Anthropology at Columbia University in 1955. His dissertation fieldwork was initiated at the MacHaffie site in Montana. While at Columbia, Dr. Forbis also spent a year as a research associate, participating in the Signal Butte site excavations in Nebraska.
Henry James Abraham Goodman was born on July 21, 1917 in Toronto, but spent most of his youth in Vancouver. He received a BA (Honours) and an MA in history from the University of British Columbia, an M.Ed. in Educational Foundations from Harvard University, and a Doctorate in Education (EdD) in the field of curriculum development and programmed learning from UCLA (1968). In 1948 Dr. Goodman took up a position as an instructor at the Altoona Undergraduate Centre of the Pennsylvania State University where he remained until1950. He then returned to Vancouver and taught high school social studies for the Vancouver public School Board, eventually becoming Social Studies Department Head. The University of Calgary in hired Dr. Goodman 1964. Throughout his educational and professional careers Dr. Goodman was interested in the world encyclopedia and world brain/world mind notions espoused by Jan Comenius (or Komensky) and H.G. Wells. This abiding interest is demonstrated in the range of research subjects Dr. Goodman pursued, all with the aim of creating a global information or knowledge system that would be accessible to all and exist for the betterment of mankind. Dr. Goodman's early research and teaching at the University of Calgary was in the area of computer aided or assisted instruction or learning, an extension of his doctoral thesis work. He also pursued research in the field of terminology standards that he called informedia terminology. In 1974-1975 his sabbatical research took him to the Mental Health Research Institute at the University of Michigan as a visiting research professor. In 1975, Dr. Goodman and Dr. Manfred Kochen co-founded the World Mind Group, a group of individuals from a variety of professional and educational areas committed to furthering the concept of the world brain and the world mind. Dr. Goodman developed the Register III (RIII) system as a tool to bring the world brain into existence. Throughout his career Dr. Goodman participated in a wide variety of conferences, presenting and publishing papers, and in organizations, mainly the American Society of Information Science (ASIS) and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Dr. Goodman retired from teaching in 1982 and was given the title professor emeritus. He continues to pursue the world brain/world mind idea, participating in a workshop at the University of Calgary in 1997 which was in honour of his 80th birthday and continuing his research and writing in this field.
Dr. Clinton Bruce Hatfield was born on 18 July 1926 in Calgary, Alberta. He attended Hillhurst Junior High School and graduated from Western Canada High School in 1945. He completed his undergraduate medical training at the University Alberta, receiving his Bachelor of Science in 1948, Master of Science in 1951, and his Medical Doctorate in 1953. Dr. Hatfield interned at the University of Alberta Hospital (1953-1954) before moving in 1957 to the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis on a Fellowship in Medicine for further internship and residency training. He was an Instructor in Medicine at the University of Minnesota Hospital from 1958 to 1959. During this interval, Dr. Hatfield also obtained his Specialist Degrees including the Royal College of Physicians in London (April 1958), the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (November 1959), and the American College of Physicians (November 1962). Dr. Hatfield traveled to England during 1958-1959 to complete a year's training as a Volunteer Research Assistant at the Hammersmith Hospital where he studied in the field of Adrenal Physiology with Dr. C.L. Cope. He also obtained certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine (1962).
In 1959, Dr. Hatfield returned to
Dr. Hatfield has been active in serving his community as a family life educator, and an educator in sexuality. In the 1960's and 1970's, Dr. Hatfield gave numerous presentations to youth groups and schools on the subject of Family Life and Sex Education, and traveled to India in 1970 to deliver a paper on 'Sex Education: One Physician's View.’ He has written several medical papers and was a panelist on two Ortho Symposiums concerned with Family Planning and Family Life and Sex Education as a Community Responsibility in 1966 and 1967. He has served as a lecturer in Family Life Education and as a member of the Professional Advisory Committee of the Pastoral Institute of the United Church of Canada from 1962 to 1968.
Dr. Hatfield has worked in the field of medical ethics most of his professional career. He was Chairman of the Alberta Medical Association Committee on Ethics, a former member of the Canadian Medical Association Ethics Committee, and was a founding member of the Ethics Consultation Service at the
Dr. Robert (Bob) Edgar Hatfield was born on August 17, 1929 in
In 1955 he married Patricia (Pat) Wotherspoon, a nurse, with whom he raised five children: Karen, Trish, Murray, David and Joanne.
Dr. Hatfield returned to
Hatfield was active as a speaker and leader of several school, church and community seminars, retreats and courses on many aspects of family life and sex education, communications and palliative care. He was a founding member of the Hospice Calgary Society, the Palliative Care Association of Alberta and the Canadian Palliative Care Association. In 1991 he was instrumental in the creation of the Humour Enhancement program at the
Dr. Hatfield served as president of the Alberta Medical Association (AMA) and the Calgary Medical Society. He was an executive member of the Alberta Society of Specialists in Internal Medicine and on the Board of Directors of the Calgary Pastoral Institute. He was also member of the Alumni Association of the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research as well as a lifetime member of the
His achievements have been recognized with numerous awards. In 1970 the Calgary Jaycees (Junior Chamber of Commerce) voted him and Bruce, “Citizen of the Year”. The brothers also received the
Dr. Hatfield was involved in a wide variety of activities throughout his life outside of the medical profession from the Tuxis Parliament in
Dr. Hatfield passed away in 1999.
Frederick G. Heymann was born in Berlin on December 24, 1900. He studied history, philosophy, economics and sociology at the Universities of Berlin, Göttingen, Heidelberg and Frankfurt. He received his PhD from the University of Frankfurt in 1922 and spent two years on postgraduate work with Werner Sombart, an historian of modern capitalism.
Heymann started his journalism career in 1925 as the assistant economic policy editor for Frankfurter Zeitung, a highly regarded newspaper in pre-Hitler Germany. In 1932 he moved to Czechoslovakia as head of the Prague editorial office. Heymann’s writing came under increasing criticism from the German legation as being too friendly to the Czech people and to Czechoslovak policy. In 1935 the office was taken over by the Nazis and Heymann moved on to the Bohemia, a local daily paper of which he was editor, chief editorial writer and diplomatic correspondent. Both of these positions involved intensive diplomatic travel and study of the politics, economies and history of Eastern European countries.
Several members of the Bohemia’s editorial staff were arrested in March 1939; although Heymann was questioned, he was subsequently let go. With the help of Dr. Zdenek Schmoranz from the Press Department in the office of the Prime Minister, Heymann was able to leave the country with his family, arriving in England in July 1939. He expected to travel on to Australia but the outbreak of the war prevented him from doing so, and also contributed to his 10-week stay in an internment camp on the Isle of Man.
Heymann took classes to become proficient in English and was eventually employed in 1941 by the British Ministry of Information. He wrote and edited articles and became the military correspondent for Die Zeitung, a German language paper sponsored by the Ministry. In 1944 he was hired by the United States Office of War Information, a position that enabled him to travel to Germany as a civilian editor for the illustrated weekly Heute. At the end of the war, Heymann and his family emigrated to the United States, arriving in New York in July 1946.
Once in America, Heymann taught history at high schools and pursued his life-long passion of research and writing. His first book was published in 1955, a major work on John Žižka and the Hussite Revolution. Between 1956-1958 he was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey and then was Visiting Professor at the University of Iowa 1958-1959. He joined the University of Calgary in 1959 as an associate professor of history, later serving as Head of the Department. Heymann was widely acknowledged as an authority on Czech history and would publish numerous articles, chapters and books, including George of Bohemia, King of Heretics (1965) and Poland and Czechoslovakia (1966). He retired from the University of Calgary in 1973 and was granted Professor Emeritus status for his outstanding scholarship and service.
Ethel King-Shaw was in the first class of the University of Alberta, Faculty of Education, Calgary Branch in 1945, graduating in 1949. She went to Iowa to earn her PhD in early childhood literacy and then returned to Alberta to teach. She later returned to the Faculty of Education as the first female professor at the University of Calgary in 1956. Throughout her career, King-Shaw was a prominent and active member of the university community. She was the first advisor to women students, the first woman elected to the General Faculties Council, and in 2000, she was awarded the Order of the University of Calgary. In the 1950s she was staff advisor for the Wauneita Society, a women's fraternity. In 1961 she was involved with the Banff Conference, "The Design of the University of Alberta, Calgary," and the UAC Conference on Higher Education, "The Liberal Arts and Sciences. Ms King-Shaw died on March 2, 2013 at the age of 85.
Arthur Winfred Knudsen was born June 30th, 1920 in St. Louis Missouri. He received his Bachelor of Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1942 and was employed as a researcher on the Manhattan project from 1943-1946. Knudsen later attended the University of Chicago (1946-1947) and Washington University (1947-1948). Before coming to the University of Calgary in 1962, Knudsen was employed as a Physicist at the Naval Research Laboratory and as a Research Associate at Stanford University and the University of Fribourg in Switzerland.
Dr. Herman W. Konrad was born in Poplar Hill, Alberta on November 5th, 1935. In his early 20s he volunteered with the Mennonite Central Committee, serving two years in Paraguay building roads, learning Spanish, and discovering what would become a life-long passion for Latin America. He received his BA from the University of British Columbia (History and Psychology) in 1962 and his MA from the University of Chicago (Renaissance and Reformation, and Early Modern European History) in 1964. His doctoral specializations at the University of Chicago were in Anthropology (Acculturation and Contemporary Latin American Indigenous Sectors) and History (Colonial Economic and Institutional History of Latin America and Spain). He received his PhD in 1973.
Dr. David James Lewis was born in Montreal, Quebec on 28 May 1920. He received his early education at Selwyn House School in Montreal and later at Trinity College School in Port Hope, Ontario. Dr. Lewis then attended McGill University, graduating on 29 May 1941 with a Bachelors of Arts “First Class Honors in Language and Literature.”
While at McGill, Dr. Lewis’ had worked during the summers at the Ottawa Journal; upon graduation he was offered full time employment there and manned the Sports Desk and later the Police and Fire beat. Dr. Lewis left the Journal in March 1941 upon appointment to the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve as a probationary Sub-Lieutenant. He saw service at Dieppe, the invasions of Normandy, North Africa and Sicily. He was discharged from service On 29 July 1945 as Lieutenant RCNVR.
Following his service in the Navy, Dr. Lewis enrolled at the University of Toronto and received his Medical Doctor degree in 1950. He completed his junior internship at the Toronto General Hospital and his senior internship at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto. In 1952-1954 he was a Junior and Assistant Resident in Psychiatry, and later an Instructor in Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. At the end of his rotation there, Dr. Lewis worked at Bethlem Royal and Maudsley Hospitals in London, England supported by a R. Samuel McLaughlin Travelling Fellowship. It was during his stint in London that Dr. Lewis became involved in his two first major research projects – the efficacy of the Funkenstein tests (the reliability of adrenaline and mecholyl injections) and drug assisted therapy using Lysergic Acid Diethylamide or LSD.
Upon his return to Canada, Dr. Lewis was employed as Assistant Professor in Psychiatry at the University of Toronto (1956-1958) and was eventually promoted to Associate Professor and Clinical Teacher (Medicine) (1958-1965). Dr. Lewis supervised and trained interns and residents at St. Michael’s Hospital as part of his appointments.
In 1965 he moved to Montreal as Associate Professor of Psychiatry at McGill University and Associate Psychiatrist at the Royal Victoria Hospital. His involvement in undergraduate teaching included service on the Permanent Advisory Committee on Undergraduate Medical Education and as Chairman on the Subcommittee on Multiple Paths to the M.D. Degree. He was also very active in furthering graduate education with service as the Coordinator of Postgraduate Education and on the Committee on Revision of the Postgraduate Medical Curriculum. Dr. Lewis did extensive work on his research into Lilliputian Studies, or Little Men hallucinations during his appointments in Toronto and Montreal.
While at McGill, Dr. Lewis was also the Clinical Director of the Allan Memorial Institute (1966-1971), a psychiatric hospital allied with both the Royal Victoria Hospital and the Psychiatric Department at McGill University. During Lewis’ tenure there he served under Dr. Robert Cleghorn, himself a protégé of the first Director of the Allan Memorial Institute, Dr. Donald Ewen Cameron who died in 1967. Dr. Cameron’s practices with psychiatric patients would later come under federal investigation in the 1980s. Dr. Lewis retained contact with Dr. Cleghorn until his death in 1995; Lewis’ involvement with both Cleghorn and Cameron would inform some of his later research interests.
In 1971 Dr. Lewis accepted an appointment as Clinical Director, Department of Psychiatry at the University of Calgary. He remained involved in undergraduate teaching as a Subcommittee member and teacher of the Continuity Course and as Precepter of Clinical Clerkship with responsibilities for units on alcoholism, suicide, and death and dying. Dr. Lewis was also involved in teaching the Growth and Development courses. He was twice acting head of the Department of Psychiatry in 1975-1976 and 1979-1981.
Dr. Lewis spent his 1977-1978 sabbatical researching the administration of, and patient treatment in affective disorder wards or clinics in Europe and New York. His advocacy for the creation of an Affective Disorders Clinic at the University of Calgary was successful and Dr. Lewis became the Director of the newly formed clinic from 1978 through 1985. Several of his major research projects were a result of his involvement in the clinic, or by-products of his research there: affective disorders, therapeutic communities, milieu therapy, lithium studies and psycho-immune studies.
Dr. Lewis retired as Professor Emeritus from the University of Calgary in 1985 but remained closely involved with teaching and the practice of psychiatry. He remained a part-time Clinical Professor of Psychiatry from 1985-1987 and a Senior Psychiatrist until 1991.
From 1992-1998 Dr. Lewis and his wife Catherine and Len Birkins compiled and edited the reminiscences of fellow WWII veterans of the Combined Operations of the Royal Canadian Navy resulting in the two volumes book “From St.Naziere to Singapore: the Canadian Amphibious War 1941-1945”. During the same period, Dr. Lewis also investigated the history of psychiatric treatment of post traumatic stress disorder, also called ‘battle fatigue’, giving particular attention to Canadian psychiatrist Arthur Doyle’s work on the subject during WWII in Italy. In his retirement, Dr. Lewis remained an active participant in veterans activities relating to the navy through reunions, commemorative events, interviews in newspapers and articles and exhibits in the Tecumseh Naval Museum and the Military Museums in Calgary. He died on 1 January 2013.
[188--]-2010 (predominant 1972-2006)
4.84 m of textual records and other materials.
Alan Hugh William MacDonald was born in Ottawa 3 March 1943. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (History) from Dalhousie University in 1963 and with a Bachelor of Library Services from the University of Toronto in 1964. He worked at Dalhousie University in a number of positions from 1964-1978 including Law Librarian, Government Documents Librarian, Assistant to the Director of Libraries, Serials and Documents Librarian, Assistant University Librarian and Health Sciences Librarian. MacDonald was admitted to the Master of Library Science program at the University of Toronto, and as a Fellow at Massey College in 1966 but did not take up the positions. MacDonald lectured at the Dalhousie University School of Library Service from 1969-1978 in library administration, government publications, legal information, serials, and practical skills.
MacDonald moved to the University of Calgary in 1979 for the first of three terms as Director of Libraries, through 1992. He also served as Director of The University of Calgary Press from 1984-1989. Following a sabbatical year in 1993, MacDonald became the Director of Information Services for two terms through 1999. Between 1999 and his retirement in 2003, MacDonald held the positions of Senior Advisor to the Director of Information Resources, Senior Advisor to the Director of Information Services, and Special Assistant to the Vice-President (Academic) and Provost.
MacDonald was a prolific presenter giving over 800 addresses, papers, keynote speeches, reports and other submissions, including 127 citations for Honourary Degree recipients in his role as University Orator from 1989-2002. MacDonald was also a family historian and the fonds includes genealogical research and records collected about his father Vincent and his uncle Wallace. Vincent MacDonald was a lawyer, educator and civil servant, serving as secretary to Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King in 1927, teaching law at Dalhousie University and eventually becoming Dean of the Faculty of Law. Vincent died in 1964. Wallace Archibald MacDonald was a silent film star, appearing in almost 120 films between 1914 and 1932. He would later become a producer of over 100 films from 1937 to 1959. Wallace died in 1978.
Following his retirement in 2003 MacDonald was involved in the Calgary Aerospace Museum in various roles as Librarian, Secretary of the Board and Executive Director. He compiled “A Chronology of Air and Space” while working there.
Alan MacDonald died in Calgary 28 January 2010.
The fonds consists of records created, received or collected by Alan MacDonald.
The fonds is arranged into eight series: (1) Professional activities and affiliations; (2) Administrative activities; (3) Correspondence; (4) Aviation; (5) Vincent MacDonald; (6) Wallace MacDonald; (7) MacDonald family; and (8) Ephemera and electronic records.
Includes ca. 800 photographs, 50 posters, 10 audio-recordings, 3 moving images, 10 CDs and ca. 300 buttons.
Dr. Markotic was born in Banjaluka, Yugoslavia on 16 July 1920. He studied at the Universities of Zagreb and Graz (Austria) before emigrating to the United States in 1947. He obtained his Master of Arts degree in Anthropology from Indiana University in 1955, and in 1963 was awarded a PhD in Anthropology from Harvard. During his university years, Dr. Markotic was awarded a Hemenway Fellowship of American Archaeology and Ethnology from Harvard University and a Robert C. Winthrop Scholarship. He was also honoured by being made a Thaw Fellow of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology at Harvard, an Associate of Current Anthropology and a Fellow of the American Anthropological Association.
64 folders of graphic material.
Professor Douglas McCullough is a renowned set, costume and lighting designer and professor emeritus of Drama at the University of Calgary. Born in Georgia, USA in 1942, McCullough received his BA with a Major in English from Hope College, Michigan in 1964 and his MA (Directing) and MFA (Stage Design) from Northwestern University in 1966 and 1970 respectively. He obtained his Design Director’s Card from the United Scenic Artists of America in 1969 and was certified in set, costume and lighting design, and as a scenic artist by the Associated Designers of Canada in 1980.
McCullough joined the academic staff of the University of Calgary in 1977 as an Associate Professor and Senior Designer and was promoted to the rank of Professor in 1988. He served in a number of administrative capacities within the Department of Drama, including acting Head and Head of the (1981-1983), Head and Producer (1999-2004), Chair of the Graduate Committee (1989-1994) and Artistic Director (1997-2001, 2003-2012). McCullough retired in 2012 and was granted Emeritus status in recognition of his noteworthy career. Prior to coming to Calgary he worked in a variety of roles with the Evanston Children’s Theatre, Northwestern University Theatre and Northwestern University Summer Drama Festival. During his career McCullough worked on over 220 productions for theatre and dance companies in Canada, the United States and Europe and designed or collaborated in the design of numerous architectural projects including theatres, art galleries and a recital hall.
Fonds consists of original costume, set and lighting designs, photographs of set models, colour drawings and posters produced by Douglas McCullough for university and professional theatre and dance productions. The fonds is arranged into five series: (1) University of Calgary productions; (2) Stage West productions; (3) Other theatre companies; (4) Dance productions; (5) Posters. The records are arranged in alphabetical order by title of production.
Also known as the McCullough fonds
Title based on contents of fonds.
Fonds includes the following accessions: 2012.061
Records were donated to the Archives by Professor McCullough
Victor Edward Mitchell was born January 29, 1929 in Vancouver B.C. He graduated from Victoria High School in 1947 and received his B.A. from the University of British Columbia in 1950. After completing a Professional Teaching Certificate he taught drama in Ladner and served two years as the High School principal in Slocan. He moved to England for a short time to study theatre at the London Guildhall School of Music and Drama and was a tutor at Westminster City School in 1959. Mitchell received a Canada Council grant to study theatre production at Stanford University where he received his Master of Arts in 1964. He was in the midst of writing his PhD dissertation when he was hired at the University of Calgary.
Grant Dilworth Mossop was born in Calgary, Alberta on April 15, 1948 to Cyril and Freida Mossop. He attended Rideau Park Elementary/Junior High School and Western Canada High School, graduating in 1966. He was one of the first Honours B. Sc. Geology graduates of the University of Calgary in 1970, and went on a year later to earn his M.Sc. degree. Awarded the 1851 Commission Scholarship to study at Imperial College, University of London, he received his PhD degree in geology in 1973. After completing his PhD, he returned to the University of Calgary as a Post-Doctoral Fellow (Geology). His graduate and post-doctoral research dealt with Devonian carbonate rocks in the Alberta subsurface and with evaporate rocks in the Canadian Arctic and Europe.
Consists of a scrapbook created by Tom Oliver, former head of the Department of Geology and Dean of Science. Contains newspaper clippings pertaining to events on the University of Alberta, Calgary campus...
[ca. 1900]-1991; predominantly 1975-1990.
1.6 m of textual records and other materials.
Dr. Howard Delbert Palmer (1946-1991) was born to Asael Delbert Palmer and Mable Johansen in Lethbridge, Alberta on December 17, 1946. He was the grandson of Asael Exile Palmer of Lethbridge, the first director of the Lethbridge Experimental Farm (later the Government of Canada Agricultural Research Station). Asael Exile was a Mormon who, as a child, was forced to flee the United States for Canada with his family after his father was persecuted by the American government for having several wives. Asael Exile apparently had a formative influence on Howard and his interest in history.
Howard Palmer was granted his BA in History from Brigham Young University, Utah in 1968, his MA in History from the University of Alberta in 1971, and his PhD in History from York University in 1973. He was employed by the Department of the Secretary of State for the Government of Canada as the Research Director of the Multicultural Program from September 1971 to July 1973. Palmer then worked at the University of Calgary as a member of the academic staff from July 1973 until shortly before his death.
Dr. Palmer was fluent in English and Spanish with reading abilities in French. Palmer's main area of research appears to have been multiculturalism and immigration. He was a prolific writer with one of his major works being "Alberta: a new history" which he wrote with his wife Tamara Palmer. Dr. Palmer died on March 15, 1991. The Howard Palmer Memorial Scholarship was instituted for students in the Department of History at the University of Calgary with concentration in Western Canadian History or Western Canadian Studies. The Canadian Ethnic Studies Association (CESA) instituted the Howard Palmer Scholarship Award in 2003 for graduate students who are members of CESA.
The records were transferred to the Archives by Dr. Palmer's former wife, Dr. Tamara Palmer Seiler. They had been found in the History Department of the University where they had apparently been left since Dr. Howard Palmer's death.
Fonds consists of teaching and research materials created and accumulated by Dr Palmer during his career as an academic history. Includes history course outlines and other course materials, research notes, surveys, interviews, correspondence, drafts of published works, and photographs of ethnic groups such as Mormons. Includes photographs of Charles A. Magrath, a Mormon construction crew around 1900, and the Cardston, Alberta temple. The fonds has been arranged into two series based on the nature of the records: (1) Teaching, and (2) Scholarship.
Accessions: UARC 2001.007
Terence Michael Penelhum was born in Bradford-on-Avon, England on 26 April 1929. He received his early education at Weymouth Grammar School. From 1946-1950 he attended the University of Edinburgh, receiving his M.A. in Philosophy with First-Class Honours in 1950. In 1952 he received a B.Phil in Philosophy from Oriel College, Oxford where he was an Alexander Campbell Fraser Scholar. In 1952-1953 he was an English-Speaking Union Fellow at Yale University.
Anthony Gaetano Raphael Petti, 1932-1985, was born in England. He attended the University College London and received a BA (Honours) in 1955 and an MA in 1957. In 1970 he received a DLit in Renaissance Literature, History, and Music from the University of London. He was an English lecturer at University College London from 1961 to 1969, and joined the English Department at The University of Calgary as a professor in 1969. He served as head of the Department from 1971 to 1974. His teaching also included lectures in English literature at the University of Oslo in 1961, and in paleography at The Newberry Library Summer Institute in the Archival Sciences in 1981. His area of scholarship included Medieval, Elizabethan and Jacobean literature, drama, paleography and music. He held a number of fellowships including the Killam Residential Fellowship, Calgary in 1977, and was director of the Calgary Renaissance Singers in the 1970s and 1980s. He published numerous articles and books, and was co-editor of the New Catholic Hymnal in 1972. He was married to Lorna Roswell and had at least one child.
1952-2006 (gaps exist)
10.2 m of textual records and oher materials.
Anthony Walter Rasporich was born in Port Arthur, Ontario on 9 January 1940. He attended Queens University in Kingston, receiving his BA (Honours) in 1962 and his MA in 1965. He taught at Kingston Collegiate and Vocational Institute (1962-1963) and University College, University of Manitoba (1964-1965) before joining the Department of History at the newly established University of Calgary in 1966. He received his PhD from the University of Manitoba in 1970, was promoted to Associate Professor at UofC the following year, and to Professor in 1977.
Dr. Rasporich served as Head of the History Department from 1973-1976, and than as Associate Dean of the newly created Faculty of Social Science from 1976-1981; he later served as Dean of the Faculty from 1986-1994. Dr. Rasporich held a CD Howe Post-Doctoral Fellowship (1969-1970), an External Affairs Fellowship at the University of Sussex (1979), and was a Killam Resident Fellow at the University of Calgary (1979). He has refereed and evaluated manuscripts for a number of journals and granting organizations, and was the co-editor of the Canadian Ethnic Studies/Etudes Ethniques au Canada journal from 1980-2002.
Dr Rasporich’s research interests encompass western Canadian history, Canadian social and political history, and Croatians in Canada. He has contributed to the Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Canada’s Visual History, and edited or authored a number of books and monographs. In 2006, Dr. Rasporich wrote a history of the University of Calgary for the 40th anniversary, Make No Small Plans.
He retired from the University in 1997 as Emeritus Professor of History.
Records received from Dr. Rasporich between 2002 and 2015.
The fonds consists of records created, received or collected by Anthony Rasporich and reflect his post-graduate education, his roles as faculty member, Department Head and Dean, and his scholarly interests including conferences, presentations, writing and research.
The fonds is arranged into 6 series: (1) Education ; (2) Administrative activities; (3) Teaching; (4) Conferences and presentations: (5) Correspondence and personal records; (6) Research and scholarly activities.
Includes ca. 250 photographs, 48 slides, 10 reels of microfilm, 3 computer disks and 50 audio-cassette tapes.
Fonds includes the following accessions: 2002.037, 2004.006, 2007.031, 2012.014, 2015.005
Records are in English, French, German, Ukrainian and Croatian.
Zoltan Roman was born in Miskolo, Hungary on 7 June 1936. He arrived in Canada in 1957 and became a naturalized Canadian in 1962. Dr. Roman earned his BMus in 1962 in British Columbia and his MA and PhD in Toronto in 1962 and 1965 respectively. His doctoral dissertation focused on the songs of Gustav Mahler, and his scholarly work was devoted chiefly to the biographical, editorial and bibliographic study of the lives and music of Mahler and Anton von Webern. Dr Roman played 1959-1960 with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.
In 1966, Zoltan Roman began his career at the University of Calgary as an Assistant Professor of Fine Arts. By 1969 he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Music. He became an Associate Professor in the Department of Music in 1971 and then a full Professor in 1976. Dr. Roman served as an Administrative Officer for the Faculty of Fine Arts in 1972-1973 and Administrative Officer (Planning) 1975-1980. He was also the Associate Dean for the Faculty of Fine Arts from 1981-1986. Zoltan Roman was made Professor Emeritus in 1992 for the Department of Music.
In 1977-1978, he held a Killam Resident Fellowship to complete a comprehensive annotated bibliography on the scholarly literature on the life and music of Anton von Webern. Dr. Roman was the president of the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the American Musicological Society from 1985-1987 and served as a board member of the Internationale Gustav Mahler Gesellschaft and the International Webern Society. In 1983, he became co-editor of "Periodica Musica." Dr. Roman edited several vocal works for the critical collected works of Gustav Mahler. Zoltan Roman died on September 30, 2015.
60 cm of textual records and graphic material.
Dr Michel Sargious was a Professor of Civil Engineering in the Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary. Born in Cairo, Egypt in 1930, he received his BSc (1951) and MEng (1957) degrees from the University of Cairo, and his PhD (1960) from the University of Stuttgart. Prior to immigrating to Canada in 1968, Dr Sargious worked in Egypt and then as the Chief resident Engineer for the design and supervision of construction of the Kuwait International Airport. He joined the Faculty of Engineering as an Associate Professor, and was promoted to Professor in 1976.
Dr Sargious held administrative positions within the Faculty, including Acting Associate Dean, Academic (1984-1985) and Acting Head, Department of Civil Engineering (1986-1988); and participated as member or chair of numerous committees established by professional organizations he was affiliated with. He was named Professor Emeritus of Civil Engineering upon his retirement in 1990, and received the Distinguished Lifetime Leadership Award from the Shulich School of Engineering in 2010. He was named a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers (1989), the American Concrete Institute (1989) and the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers (1990).
Dr Sargious focused his research on transportation engineering, including such topics as planning urban transit and roadway systems, freight transportation, accident analysis, energy conservation in urban transportation, and issues related to rigid pavements. He authored 90 articles and a book, “Pavement and Surfacings for Highways and Airports” (1975). In addition to his academic work, he was involved in consulting activities in Canada and abroad, designing airports, stadiums, major hotels, industrial buildings, transit systems, and pavement designs; and as an expert witness in court cases which drew on his knowledge of transportation systems, road surfaces and accident analysis. From 1991-1997 he was involved in a CIDA initiative to establish a Faculty of Engineering in Nepal.
Dr Sargious died on May 8, 2011 at the age of 81. A scholarship bearing his name, which he established in 1991, is offered to Civil Engineering students at the University of Calgary.
Fonds consists of records created and collected by Dr Sargious during his career as an academic engineer and consultant. The fonds is divided into three series based on the activities that led to the creation of the records: (1) Teaching, (2) Research, publications and consulting activities, and (3) Personal.
1.5 m of textual records
Dr. George Self was born in 1910 in Canso, Nova Scotia. After a short stint as a bank clerk, he became a teacher and taught for several years in Quebec. At the age of 23, he enrolled at McGill where he obtained his B.A. and M.A.
In 1943, he completed his PhD thesis at the University of Chicago and joined the Royal Canadian Navy, serving during the final two years of WWII. He then worked at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia in Halifax and lectured in Public Administration at Dalhousie University.
George Self joined the University of Alberta, Calgary Branch in 1947 teaching economics. He founded the Department of History in which he taught for twenty years. Self was a member of the Map Collection Subcommittee of the university library in 1961-1962 and of the Library Maps and Atlas Committee in 1964-1965.
Dr. Self retired in 1976 and spent his retirement in Calgary where he passed away in 1985.
Fonds consists of correspondence, lecture notes, and subject files. Includes correspondence and minutes of the Map Collection Subcommittee and Library Maps and Atlas Committee.
Consists of the handwritten manuscript of Londa Shembe's translation of his grandfather's writings. Londa was the head of the South African Zulu Independent Church, with around one million members. The translation was published by the University of Calgary Press in 1994 with the title "The Scriptures of the AmanaNazaretha of Ekuphakameni".
4.62 metres of textual records. – 4.58 metres of graphic material
Peter Lewis Shinnie was born in London, England on January 18th, 1915. From a very early age he was fascinated by history, especially Egyptology. Shinnie attended university at Christ Church, Oxford from 1934-1938 where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree and eventually a Master of Arts degree in Egyptology with a special focus on ancient languages including hieroglyphics. His first archaeological dig was at Maiden Castle in England where he assisted Mortimer Wheeler and worked with other future famous archaeologists including J. Desmond Clark. From 1939 to 1945 Shinnie served as a reserve officer in the Royal Air Force. After the War he worked on a dig at Tell el Atshana in Turkey and in 1946 was appointed Assistant Commissioner for Archaeology for the Sudanese government. In 1948 he was promoted to Commissioner, a position he held until 1955. During his time as Commissioner he directed excavations in the Sudan at sites such as Amara West, Soba and Tanqasi. From 1958 to 1970 Shinnie held two posts as professor and head of a Department of Archaeology: the first at the University of Ghana, the second, from 1966 at the University of Khartoum. In 1965 he began directing excavations at ancient Meroe, a site 140 km north of Khartoum. He worked on and off on this project until 1984. He has also held posts as a visiting professor to the University of Birmingham in 1966 and to the State University of New York at Buffalo, New York in the spring of 1970. In October 1970 Shinnie accepted the position of professor and head of the Department of Archaeology at the University of Calgary. This was one of only two such departments in North America that existed at the time -- the other being at Simon Fraser University. While at this University he has directed many more excavations including Daboya, Ghana (1978-1979, 1982-1983) and Asante (1986-1993). Professor Shinnie's main area of interest and expertise has been in the post-Paleolithic archaeology of West Africa, the Near East, the Sudan and Egypt. He is well known for his contributions to modern archaeological excavation techniques and his belief in an 'area approach' to archaeology whereby researchers becomes acquainted with the territory, customs, language and culture of the area they are researching. His various honours include honourary life member of the Society of Africanist Archaeologists, Fellow of the British Academy, Fellow of the Society of Antiquitaries, honourary Doctor of Letters (LLD) from the University of Calgary in 1983 and as a recipient of a "Festschrift" in 1992.
Fonds consists of personal and professional records created and collected by Professor Peter Lewis Shinnie throughout his time in England, Africa and Canada over a seventy year period. The records relate primarily to the academic activities carried out by Shinnie in roles such as professor, advisor, archaeologist, colleague, friend and father. The fonds is divided into sx series: (I) Personal records, 1933-1983; (II) Professional correspondence, 1957-1998; (III) Archaeological field work, 1954-1993; (IV) Publications, 1963-1994; and (V) Scholarly activities, 1960-1993. Five of the series have been divided into sub-series due to the nature and original order of the records.
Peter Shinnie died on July 9, 2007 in his 93rd year.
Fonds consists of personal and professional records created and collected by Professor Peter Lewis Shinnie throughout his time in England, Africa and Canada over a seventy year period. The records relate primarily to the academic activities carried out by Shinnie in roles such as professor, advisor, archaeologist, colleague, friend and father. The fonds is divided into six series: (I) Personal records, (II) Professional correspondence, (III) Archaeological field work, (IV) Publications, (V) Scholarly activities, and (VI) Photographs and catalogues. Four of the series have been divided into sub-series due to the nature and original order of the records.
Accessions 2001.031, 2013.029